Frequently Asked Questions

My equipment is faulty, can you fix it?

Please telephone us with the equipment details and the symptoms, first ascertain what the symptoms are and then explain clearly what you know as this will enable the service engineer to quickly find the fault your equipment may have developed or may have been developing.

Example: There are numerous clues that may aid the service engineer in diagnosing and repairing faulty or problematic equipment as will now be explained.

Example #2: If you had a Television set that was switching off at random you would say “The TV is working ok but sometimes it goes off with no picture and no sound”, this is a much better report of a symptom than simply saying “It does not work” or “Don’t know” as Most people say, you may also want to note if any indicator lights are on or flashing.

How long will it take to repair my equipment?

The time it takes to repair yor item can vary a great deal depending on the nature of the fault or the availability of parts and service information, it is not possible to give a definite timescale for those reasons, however the time it will take for most repairs is between 2 and 7 working days if all goes well but this is not always possible and we will inform you if this is the case.

Is my equipment worth fixing?

To help you decide whether it is worth repairing your equipment here are some things to consider.

1: If you replace the equipment will the replacement have all the functions that you have on your existing item?
2: will the cost of a repair be more than half the price of replacing the equipment?
3: Does the equipment have a sentimental value?

4: Are you used to your equipment and don’t want have to learn all the functions of a new piece of equipment.

How much will it cost to repair my equipment?

As you will appreciate it is not possible to diagnose and quote for repairing equipment without examining it first, please ask about the repair value limit.

I think I know what is wrong with my equipment and want some advice and a spare part.

If You Mean LNBs, dishes and brackets etc then the answer is yes, but we do not sell internal components of for example television sets, the reason is that it is not economical to keep the multitude of parts in stock due to the enormous cost of doing so, also we do not advise people with limited electrical knowledge undertaking repairs because of safety issues.

Do you do insurance estimates?

We will usually only deal directly with an insurance company where the company requests for us to examine/repair the faulty/damaged equipment at an agreed cost. Customers who request an examination for insurance claim purposes are required to pay us for our time and then claim (if relevant) from their insurance company.

STV only state the engineers findings for an insurance examination and will not offer to include any other information.

Do you give free estimates?

While in theory it is a good idea to offer a free estimate in some trades we at STV have to pay an engineer for his work to carry out an up front inspection and testing to find out what is wrong with your item and what needs to be done for a repair. STV will however inform you of the workshop repair charges if they exceed the repair value limit. Our repair prices are competitive and very reasonable.

Can I view adult material via satellite?

Yes you can view adult material simply contact us for more information, see the SCT (Satisfaction channel television) link on our links page, if you want further info then feel free to call our sales line 029 2023 2827.

What days are you open?

Stv Shop is open Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. we are closed on the weekend and bank holidays.

Our engineer normaly works these hours as well but with some planned bigger jobs may agree to work outside these hours. Please speak to Anthony to confirm.

What experience do you have?

STV was set up by Ross Scaccia and have been repairing electronics since 1980. Since that time Anthony Scaccia (Ross’s son) has become an Installer and Repairer. We have repaired 16267 items and counting for many happy customers. We continually receive training to keep our knowledge up to date on the most current technology and have a good working relationship with our electronics suppliers and regularly attend their trade shows to see what is new and may be useful for our customers.

 Do you buy broken tv’s?

We do not buy broken tv’s as we would need a very big wharehouse to store them all! Tv’s become obsolete within 10 to 15 years so as you can imagine an old tv’s value depreciates as newer technology becomes available.

Within the last 20 years we have gone from the old cathode ray tv’s (tube), to plasma, to L.C.D, to L.E.D, to Quantum Dot or O.L.E.D. 4K Tv’s. Whats next?

What guarantee do I have after you have repaired my tv?

STV will guarantee the parts that it fits to your tv for 3 months. We do not guarantee your whole tv as some other part in the tv may go faulty in the future and it would be unfair for us to cover this eventuality. However the 3 month guarantee on our parts is so that you have long enough to give the tv a good trial period after the repair.

My Satellite dish or Aerial you fitted is not working properly.

If STV has fitted a satellite dish or aerial that you have purchased then we carefully tune these devices with a signal meter to provide the best possible reception for your tv. These devices are then clamped into a permanent fixture to prevent movement, However sometimes due to extreme weather bending, twisting or other damage can occur. STV guarantees its fitted products against manufacturing faults but does not guarantee against other events such as natures wind, water or electrical damage (Act of God.)

However a telephone call to STV can book our engineer to come out again and retune an Aerial for £35 and retune a satellite dish for £45. This does not include cost of replacement of any parts.

Do you fit Aerials or Satellite dishes to rented, communal or nursing homes?

Yes we do! but we would need written proof that the landlord, manager or owner has given their consent to have the equipment erected on the site.

What is ‘NOW TV’

NOW TV is Sky channels, but you receive these channels via an internet box rather than by a satellite dish.

STV installed sky equipment for me who do I speak to about it?

If your query is about a satellite dish or other equipment you purchased from us then speak to STV on 02920 232827, If your query is about channels, broadband speeds, telephone or other equipment you purchased from Sky then you need to speak to Sky on 0330 041 2639.

Who do I speak to about Multiroom?

This is a Sky contractual agreement so phone Sky 0330 041 2639.

My Sky box has stopped working what do I do?

If you have been a Sky customer for some time you should                                                                          1.)Phone Sky first to see if they will give you a replacement box for free.                                                           If not you have three further options:                                                                                                                          2.) You can have it repaired by STV                                                                                                                            3.) There are many retailers including STV who sell used Sky boxes.                                                                  4) You could buy a new Sky box from Sky.                                                                                                                5) You could upgrade from Sky+ HD to the new Sky Q system

Sometimes when asking for a replacement box from Sky they will want to sign you up to a new contract, please be aware of this when speaking to Sky. 

I live in a student rented accomodation and my Sky box has a problem who do I speak to about it?

In most instances telephone the agency who handled your rental agreement or speak to your landlord.

When you need a TV Licence – Students

The law still applies to students. You must be covered by a TV Licence to:                                                watch tv. This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.                                                                                                    A TV Licence costs £147 a year                                                                                                                   You can pay in one go, or spread the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly.

Over 75 TV Licence

Here’s all the information you need to get a free over 75 TV Licence. We recommend you do this when you’re 74 years old, as it will make getting your over 75 TV Licence much simpler when you’re 75. You need to be covered by a TV Licence, including a free over 75 TV Licence, to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel, or to download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use.                                                                    After your 75th birthday, you can get a free TV Licence. It covers you as well as anyone you live with.Please remember that you don’t automatically get an over 75 TV Licence on your 75th birthday. You have to apply for one. If you’re about to turn 75, please do not cancel your Direct Debit or any other payment for your TV Licence. Once we’ve sent you confirmation of your over 75 TV Licence, we’ll cancel your Direct Debit for you.

TV Licence for tenants and lodgers

If you’re renting, here’s what you should know. You need to be covered by a TV Licence to:                 watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.If you live in self-contained accommodation, such as a separate flat or annex, you need your own TV Licence.   A standard colour TV Licence costs £147. Find out about ways to pay and other licence types and costs.


Care home and sheltered accommodation residents

As a resident of a residential care home, supported housing or sheltered accommodation you may be able to benefit from a concessionary TV Licence. This is known as an Accommodation for residential care (ARC) licence. It costs £7.50 per room, flat or bungalow.

If you are blind (severely sight impaired) and can provide the appropriate evidence, you are eligible to apply for a 50% concession. Your licence will also cover anyone who lives with you. If you are partially sighted (sight impaired) you are not eligible.

Armed forces personnel

Find out how to check if you need a TV Licence when you’re on base, what it covers and how much it costs.

A TV Licence is not included in your monthly food and accommodation charges. In Ministry of Defence (MOD) living accommodation, on or off base, you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any provider or device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder.

It’s your responsibility to check if you need a TV Licence and buy one if you do. The Ministry of Defence fully supports us in applying the law regarding TV Licensing. If we find evidence you’re watching TV illegally, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000* plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.


Second home TV Licence

You may need to be covered by a separate TV Licence in your second (holiday) home if you

  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider and device they use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorder. In some cases your main home’s TV Licence may cover your second home. However, you can’t move your licence to cover your second home while you’re there and then move it back again. Please check below to see which types of second home need a separate licence.

Moving house? Let TV Licensing know

When you move home your TV Licence doesn’t automatically move with you. You need to change the address on your licence– you can do this online up to three months before you move.


Can you help me set up my equipment as I am not very technically minded.

STV are happy to help set up equipment for our customers. From tv remotes to internet equipment, televisions, satellite systems including Sky and Freesat, Freeview services whether box set or integral to tv , computers. laptops, ipads and android devices, sound systems and anything else you would like us to look at.

 Do You Only fix Television type electronics?
 No STV has fixed many typ0es of electronics such as keyboards, speakers, Sit in childrens cars, computers, dvd players, cd players, tape decks, Video casette player / recorders, radio, microphones, karaoke machines, cctv and hifi separates in fact our repairers are happy to look at any type of repairs for our customers.
So don’t throw it away get it fixed!